Thursday 7 February 2008

Home brewing

Like spoiled grapes in a copper jar-
we had forty winks together.
Our thoughts ran woolgathering.
We grew as
Grapes perish- jade and unsullied, give up the ghost and
Turn pale brown tumultuously.

Like rum in chocolate cake-we were cheery
For so many times,
For so many times-she counted newly growing hair on my
Chest-I wove her locks in braids.

When grapes rotted-we gathered its steam and drank it
With sugar.

We never knew-home brewing is crime in
The country. We dreamed to make vodka with
A basket of potatoes and rum with a bunch of
Sugarcane in dark stockroom of our home.

We fought with
Our pillows for long in drunkenness. We muddled up
With each other like coffee, whisky and sugar in a cup
Of Irish coffee.

We woke up and kissed.

Her father scolded us, my mother slapped me
Her mother cried and my father mumbled-
She is your cousin.

But we never knew that home brewing Is crime in the country.

2 comments:

Max said...

I like it! You've been in my orkut, so I stopped by to say hello - and I'll be visiting more often now.. Your writings are strong and yet somehow poetic.

Anonymous said...

loved the imagery of your poems....

great going mate....

keep at it.

cheers!